Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Studying the TV Batman, Part One

Here are some very preliminary studies of the cast of the Batman television series (1966-1968), which I am doing in hopes of landing a Batman '66 assignment. They represent only the first day of work, and my Burt Ward is not happening yet, but my Yvonne Craig is coming along (one should start with one's enthusiasm) and my Adam West shows promise.

Burt Ward as Robin and Yvonne Craig as Batgirl, from various stills. The translation of line drawings into costumed live actors then back into line drawings seems to me a strange but interesting challenge.

More Yvonne. Here I am trying to wing a pose on my own to see if anything has stuck.

I grew up on the original broadcast of the series, and it was my introduction to superheroes. Reruns of the original George Reeves The Adventures of Superman quickly followed (I wonder if DC is planning a Superman '52), and I was hooked. My mom, a wonderful seamstress, got a sewing pattern for Superan, Batman, and Robin (it seems to be the McCall's pattern from 1966), and for three consecutive years, I was Robin, Superman, then Batman (the latter being the most intricate). Me and by brother Glenn and several neighborhood kids wore those costumes out by the mid-70s.


I have to do a lot more studying of Julie Newmar (I'm not complaining!), but this one headshot does not seem bad for a first try, if I do say so myself. Sometimes candid shots, such as the one of Yvonne on the Merv Griffin show in the upper left, are more revealing than posed publicity stills or screen captures from the show.

Masks are much easier to draw than construct in the real world of costuming. Frank Gorshin hated wearing The Riddler mask and did all kinds to business like taking it off or wearing it lifted above his eyebrows, as he is shown here.

Studying online stills is already an interesting process. I have watched quite a few of the Adam West shows on Me TV here in Pittsburgh, although I don't have any of the many statues, toys, and other memorabilia that has been produced in recent years. It is particularly noteworthy how the TV costumes differ from the Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane renderings (particularly of Batgirl) of the period. This endeavor is reminiscent of the work I am doing on War of the Independents #4 (where I am learning to draw multitudes of Indy and Archie/MLJ characters), and is also comparable to the study needed to illustrate Al Franken's 2003 bestseller, Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. There I had to achieve the likenesses of George W. Bush, Bill O'Reilly and others, and also tell a story with them, which was a challenge. Here the goal is to absorb as much photo-reference as possible so that I can comfortably tell a story in the world of the TV Batman without having to resort directly to photos (which will stick out like a sore thumb) when it comes to drawing the comics narrative.

One thing I've noticed about the TV costumes is the capes are of silk, so as to billow easily when the characters move. The cartoon drawings always seem to have more substance. There were also modifications made to the Batgirl costume after her first appearance, including points on her cowl below her eyes.

Some more ad-libbed poses of Batgirl. Getting comfortable recalling her costume from memory, although I miss the purse from the Infantino version!

This process is also reminiscent of drawings I did at Point Park University of the productions M33 and The Producers in 2012, which involved sketching live actors in rehearsal and from photographs I took. Getting to know the personalities of the individual performers took time, and working through several lousy drawings initially to become acquainted. Sometimes when making preliminary studies, its not what ends up on the paper but what is retained in the ol' noggin that will emerge later as the payoff.

Batgirl's mask seems to be misbehaving in this head shot, lifting away from the bridge of her nose. Something to look for in other shots to see if it was a common occurrence or just a fluke.
More to follow...

Characters not owned by Don Simpson are ™ and  © their respective creators/owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment