Friday, December 5, 2014

Studying the TV Batman, Part Two

Here is a cover concept or pin-up I am working up as a tryout for Batman '66. I have been studying stills online (see previous posting), as well as Showcase Presents Batman Volume 3, which contains many Carmine Infantino, Gil Kane, and Murphy Anderson strips from 1967, including the first Batgirl appearances. In my picture, a hypnotized Batgirl karate-chops Batman and heel-kicks Robin as Catwoman waits with a pair of cat-ears to place on what she hopes will be her new sidekick (did they already do a story like this?).

Here is the final inked version, crowquill pen and India ink on Clearprint Design Vellum, approx. 11" x 17".
Here is the original thumbnail in my 3' x 5' notebook that I jotted down over a cup of strong French roast at The Coffee Tree in Squirrel Hill. As you can see, the design is supposed to cut off just below the display lettering for "Catgirl."
Here is the first sketch, approx. 9" x 12", on the brown paper bag in which I purchased Batman '66 #17 and The Lost Episode at Phantom of the Attic in Oakland. I sketched this out in the Frick Fine Arts Library, University of Pittsburgh, in the early evening.
Here is the second sketch on the reverse of the bag. As you can see I give Batgirl more of a side view and Catwoman turns her head toward the action.
Here is the full-size rough, Col-Erase Light Blue and H graphite pencil on sketch paper, approx. 11" x 17".
Here is the refinement on canary yellow tissue paper with Pilot and Sharpie fine line pens. I patched over Catwoman's head to get a bit more of a likeness to Julie Newmar, but didn't get that much closer.
Here are some studies I did of Julie Newmar on my birthday. She is one of the true Hollywood beauties and by all accounts a very creative lady, designing the Catwoman costume with its distinctive Lurex fabric.
More studies of Ms. Newmar, although I feel like I'm kind of losing it. The Catwoman eyebrows are distinctive, but it is her perfect nose, vulnerable mouth, and exquisite jawline that are elusive.
A few more studies of Julie Newmar and Cesar Romero as The Joker.
The whole ensemble, from thumbnail sketch to finished ink.
The original rough (center), the tissue refinement (left), and the inked final (right).
The inked final (center), flanked by the original rough on the left and some of the reference on the right.
The inked final with some of the reference material.
To be continued...

Characters not owned by Don Simpson are ™ and  © their respective creators/owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment